Valentine’s Day Gluten-Free Red Velvet Black & White Cookies
You can imagine how hard these cookies are to resist, right?
But there’s good reason to wait.
Whether you’re baking for your honey or your kids this Valentine’s Day, the combination of flavors and textures from two classic bakery treats -red velvet cake and black & white cookies -is, well, hard to walk away from. Take pleasure in knowing that there will always be the icing bowls to lick after (or during) assembly.
1¼ cups Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free Flour Blend
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tablespoon red food coloring
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons corn syrup or brown rice syrup
4 ounces semisweet chocolate
Tip: To get same-sized cookies, I like to use an ice cream scoop to easily and quickly portion out the cookie batter.
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour blend, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
2. Using a mixer, beat 5 tablespoons butter with the granulated sugar until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in the egg, food coloring and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk until smooth.
3. Place 1/4-cup scoops of batter 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet; spread out. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out dry, 12 to 15 minutes. Let the cookies sit for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool.
4. In a bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or brown rice syrup) and 2 tablespoons hot water until smooth. In another bowl, combine the chocolate, remaining 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or brown rice syrup); microwave until melted, about 1 minute. Coat the cookies with the vanilla, then the chocolate icing. Refrigerate until set, about 20 minutes.
JOIN ME ON INSTAGRAM
- 2 days ago by silvananardone