Gluten-Free Cinnamon Chocolate Swirl Banana Bread
Just last month I had a chance to join George Bryant of Civilized Caveman Cooking and Juli Bauer of PaleOMG along with my longtime friend Brittany Angell for a paleo dinner in NYC. Of course, we went to Hu Kitchen, a known paleo- and gluten-free friendly restaurant and juice bar. We left well fed—and completely satisfied. I even took their famous chocolate bars home with me (my favorite flavor is the Almond Butter + Puffed Quinoa).
In my usual former reporter-mode, I asked Juli and George a million questions about paleo and learned that it’s a lifestyle that embraces gluten-free and follows my food philosophy of eating based on how your body responds to what you’re putting in it. That said, in paleo, you can have grass-fed dairy. For those of us following a dairy-free diet, please swap in your favorite dairy-free butter substitute in this recipe.
We’ve all since staying in touch since our dinner and I wanted to share their new cookbook with you, The Paleo Kitchen, which has already hit The New York Times bestseller list. Congratulations, guys!
Yield: 1 (9-by-5-inch/23-by-12-cm) loaf
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
For the banana bread:
4 medium bananas (about 1 pound/455 grams)
¼ cup (½ stick/50 grams) grass fed butter, melted
½ cup (125 grams) almond butter
½ cup (60 grams) coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder}
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
For the swirl:
2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
½ cup (3½ ounces/100 grams) Enjoy Life Mini Chocolate Chips
1 tablespoon organic honey
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9-by-5-inch (23-by-12-cm) metal loaf pan and line it with parchment paper.
2. Combine the bananas, eggs, butter, and almond butter in a food processor or mixing bowl and mix well until the ingredients are well blended. Add the coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla, and salt and mix together well.
3. In a double boiler over medium-low heat, mix together the swirl ingredients until the chocolate has melted.
4. Pour the bread batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly. As soon as you pour the batter, pour the chocolate swirl directly on top and use a knife to swirl the chocolate throughout the loaf pan.
5. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes before serving.