Mini Mac-and-Cheese Cakes with Corn Chex Crust
This Sunday, October 24th, I’ll be a guest at the NFCA’s (National Foundation for Celiac Awareness) Appetite for Awareness 2010. You’ll either find me baking up these Mini Mac-and-Cheese Cakes with Corn Chex Crust or signing copies of my new book, Cooking for Isaiah. I’m happy to be working with my friends at Chex since it’s one of the first ingredients I turned to when Isaiah was first diagnosed as gluten intolerant. I especially like using it as my substitute for bread crumbs or in place of crumbled cookies to make a sweet or savory crust, like I do here for the mac-and-cheese cakes. For more information on all the delicious recipes Chex is cooking up gluten-free, check out their website. See you in Philly!
Mini Mac-and-Cheese Cakes
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Start to Finish: 50 minutes
1 cup uncooked gluten-free elbow macaroni
3 cups Corn Chex ® cereal, finely crushed
2 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (10 oz)
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon gluten-free flour blend
1 cup whole milk, warmed
1 egg yolk, slightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg white, beaten until stiff but not dry
1. Cook and drain macaroni as directed on package.
2. Move oven rack to lower third of oven. Heat oven to 350 ºF. Lightly grease 12 regular-size muffin cups.
3. In medium bowl, mix crushed cereal, 1 cup of the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the melted butter. Divide mixture among muffin cups; press firmly in bottom and up sides of cups with spoon.
4. In 3-quart saucepan, stir together remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and flour blend with whisk; cook over medium heat 1 minute. Gradually stir in warmed milk with whisk; cook and stir about 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup of the cheese until melted. Stir in cooked macaroni, egg yolk and salt. Fold in beaten egg white. Spoon about 1/4 cup mixture into each crust-lined cup. Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
5. Bake about 20 minutes or until golden and puffed. Cool 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.
"We recently converted our family to gluten and dairy free for my son's diet. I love your cookbook. Recipes are great, favorite is your flour blend. Your introduction in the book brought me to tears in a, "She gets it," sort of way. Thank you, and bless you." —Jolene S.