Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Fried Banana Ice Cream
Dairy-free ice cream can be a challenge—whether you’re make a batch at home or even picking up a pint at your local supermarket. I don’t know if you’ve tried all those store-bought, dairy-free ones, but they can be really icy, which is disappointing for the gelato lover in me (I am half Italian, after all!).
But creamy, dairy-free ice cream? Now, that’s a real challenge. If you know Kelly Brozyna, aka The Spunky Coconut, like I do, you know she’s the master of any dairy-free foods—from yogurt to yes, ice cream!
Makes: 1 to 1½ quarts
2 tablespoons buttery spread
2 ripe bananas, at room temperature
1/3 cup coconut sugar, finely ground in a spice grinder
One 13.5-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
2 tablespoons water
1 cup almond, cashew or hemp milk
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons lemon juice
Big pinch of fine-grain sea salt
1. Heat a 12-inch frying pan over medium heat, then add the buttery spread.
2. Slice the bananas into ½-inch pieces and lay them flat side down in the pan. Do not disturb for 3 minutes.
3. Flip the bananas to the other side, and do not disturb them for another 3 minutes.
4. Put the browned bananas, ground coconut sugar, and coconut milk in a blender.
5. Wearing an oven mitt, add the water to the frying pan and swirl it around. This releases all the yummy brown bits on the bottom of the pan.
6. Add the pan water to the blender, then puree until smooth.
7. Add the almond, cashew or hemp milk, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and salt. Puree until smooth.
8. Freeze for about an hour or refrigerate until cold.
9. Pour into the ice cream machine and churn per the manufacturer’s instructions.
10. Eat right away or freeze until hard for pretty scoops.