Before I ever even came close to conquering yeasted cinnamon buns, I made these pancakes to satisfy that craving. They actually resemble cinnamon buns, too, down to their cinnamon swirl and sugary icing. My family and I have always been fans of Bisquick, but after trying the gluten-free version from the supermarket, we weren’t convinced that it was a perfect substitute. So I studied the ingredients on the original mix and replicated its taste and texture.
One bite of a hot-off-the-griddle pancake instantly made Isaiah want to open up a chain of gluten-free IHOPs—a regular breakfast spot for us before his gluten-free intolerance diagnosis. Perfect pancakes (and crisp waffles and fluffy biscuits) followed. Here’s my Bisquick knockoff pancake mix that you’ll need to make the Cinnamon Swirl Pancakes recipe:
SILVANA’S GLUTEN-FREE, DAIRY-FREE PANCAKE, WAFFLE AND BISCUIT MIX
Makes: About 16 cups
Prep Time: 8 minutes
10 cups (1572 g) Silvana’s Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
1 cup (212 g) sugar
6 tablespoons (72 g) baking powder
4 teaspoons (12 g) salt
1 cup (172 g) shortening
In a food processor, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the shortening and pulse until uniform in texture. Transfer to an airtight storage container. (The mix keeps in a cool, dry place or refrigerated for up to 6 months.)
Makes: Fifteen 3-inch pancakes
For the cinnamon swirl filling:
½ cup shortening, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
For the icing:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon water
For the pancakes:
2 cups gluten-free pancake mix
1½ cups dairy-free milk
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Canola oil, for greasing
1. Make the cinnamon swirl filling: Place the butter, brown sugar and cinnamon in a large resealable plastic bag and seal. Using your hands, mash together until combined. Snip off a corner to make a 1/8-inch wide hole.
2. Make the maple icing: In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners’ sugar, maple syrup and water.
3. Make the pancakes: Place the pancake mix in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and vanilla. Add to the pancake mix and stir to combine. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Using a paper towel, lightly grease with oil. Pour the batter about 1⁄4 cup at a time onto the pan and squeeze the cinnamon sugar filling in a circular pattern to make a swirl. Cook until golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Between batches, clean your skillet by running it under hot water, dry, then lightly grease.
4. Drizzle the icing over the pancakes and serve hot.
Breakfast, Dairy-Free, Fall, Gluten-Free, Gluten-Free Basics, Spring, Summer, Winter
**TODAY’S GRAND PRIZE GIVEAWAY**
I’m giving away 1 BLENDTEC DESIGNER 725 WITH WILDSIDE AND JAR and 1 BLENDTEC TWISTER JAR! To enter to win, just leave a comment about your favorite way to use your blender and I’ll randomly choose 1 WINNER!
• 1 WINNER gets an exclusive coupon code for 1 bag of organic Matcha Green Tea Powder and free shipping!READ MORE »
• 1 WINNER gets everything she needs for a GLUTEN-FREE PASTA PARTY, including Gluten-Free Brown Rice Egg Tagliatelle, Gluten-Free Brown Rice Spaghetti, Organic Diced Tomatoes, Organic Crushed Tomatoes and a Trial-Size Bottle of Organic Olive Oil.
• ALL OF YOU get 10% off your order and free shipping when you use the promo code SILVANASKITCHEN now through September 31, 2014!READ MORE »
• 5 WINNERS get 5 VIP coupons!READ MORE »
• 1 WINNER gets a So Delicious Dairy Free VIP coupon collection!
• 1 WINNER gets a prize pack filled with So Delicious Dairy Free popular products, including dairy-free culinary coconut milk and coffee creamer!
• 1 WINNER gets a Bob’s Red Mill canvas tote filled with the following gluten-free products:
1) White Rice Flour
2) Tapioca Flour
3) Potato Starch
4) Millet Flour
5) Sorghum Flour
6) Sweet White Rice Flour
7) Xanthan Gum
8) Golden Flaxseed Meal
• 5 WINNERS each get a coupon good for 1 bottle of Califia Farms Almondmilk!READ MORE »